I found the Route 21 discussion very insightful. It is really amazing what is out there for technology education. I am finding this topic (tech in education) to be very important since I have a young daughter who will start Kindergarten next year. I want her to be involved with technology but also need to balance with traditional "learning objects": clay, paint, paper, blocks, dolls, etc. The open-ended creative play and thinking tools.
I found Jing to be a great tool. Compared with other screen capture and "movie" tools, this was very simplistic and easy to use. I will most likely be using this to capture some "how-to's" for my AED 398 class.
URL to my Jing Learning Object created using JING:
http://www.screencast.com/users/jtabone/folders/Jing/media/9ee82ed1-0103-4179-a136-0731e4f987e6
Impactica is a great piece of software for PPT. I could not believe how small the file was compressed. After narration, my PPT was 45MB. Impactica imp-jar file is 608K!
The only draw back I have to these tools is that I cannot load software onto the computers in the BSC lab where I teach. I can use these tools on my laptops, but would need authorization from Tech Services to load for my students to use. I may use them as a tech teaching tool, rather then being able to share them. It might be an option to use them as homework assignments instead of in-lab work.
This module did require a lot of time downloading software and updating software. I am also using both Mac and PC platforms at home. I am intentionally doing this so that I can troubleshoot any potential problems my student's my encounter. I have to keep my troubleshooting and tech skills sharp.
My biggest challenge to this course is still my 3.5 year old daughter. For this module, when I was recording the narration for PPT, she interrupted at least 3 times. I had to turn on her Tom and Jerry DVD and have her promise to watch at least 5 episodes before she came to find Mommy. I quickly ran upstairs, locked the bedroom door and tried again. Finally , success! Daddy was still sleeping in. Sunday mornings are about the only time he can sleep in!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment